Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What is it?

What is it to be creative?

I know what I like. I see sewing, knitting and photography galore. I see people who can express in the simplest of terms what it is to live their life. I see people who notice the world around them for all its beauty. All of these things absolutely amaze me and also scare me silly.

I am afraid that I am not living my creative best life. I have neglected that part of myself to the point where the light is so dim I worry it will go out. Where did my creativity go? There are so many answers to that but the simplest is just that I was busy doing other things.

I miss my creative self. Where did she go? Is she ever coming back?

There have been attempts to live the creative life I want to lead. There is fabric in every corner- I am an admitted textiles addict. I have everything needed to scrapbook and had big plans to set up my wedding album and lifebooks for each child. There's knitting within arms reach of my side of the bed. I found tempura paints the other day while rummaging through a closet. What the heck did I buy that for?

And there's something new for the mix. I have always loved photography and now own a DSLR. I feel a little guilty for the purchase and am trying very hard to learn what I need to about this new camera. I am hoping that I can learn half of the tricks I see on my favorite sites.

So what is the first step to rediscovering my creativity? I can keep learning the DSLR but what if this falls off my creativity radar as well? Should I take a step back and observe the things that inspire me and bring me joy or should I dive right in and see where I end up? Are some of these projects better tackled with a similar minded friend?

Where does your inspiration for the creative come from?

2 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Omg I just wrote a whole long post and it disappeared!!!! Hate when that happens!

Can't wait to read all about you in this space!

Danielle said...

Hey Sarah,

For me the creativity and the drive to create just comes. Its never been something I've had to force out or search for within myself - its just there. Sometimes it lays dormant for a while and I feel like doing nothing for weeks or months, and then sometimes I go full force in all sorts of different artsy-fartsy things. Sometimes I lose total confidence go through a period where I think everything I sew looks like crap and every photo I take is horrible (its January, so I'm VERY much feeling that right now!), and then other times I think I kick ass. LOL! Its all about how you are feeling. And that is what affects your inspiration. (or mine at least).

Anyway, that rambling was all just to tell you that you haven't lost your creative self. Its just been on vacation while real life has been happening! With the adoption and then the holidays and everything that's gone on in the past year, things have been crazy for both of our families. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just relax, enjoy learning about your new camera and thinking about some sewing projects you'd like to start and eventually your creativity will come back on its own. That works for me anyway. :-)