Monday, January 19, 2009

Comfort Week : Food

I am taking part in a themed blog project. For 5 days this week, I will post about my comforts. You can learn more about the project here.

My favorite comfort food is squash. It is nourishing and so very versatile! It reminds me of the summers of my childhood, even though most squash varieties are a winter feast. I think I have this memory because of the gardening I helped with as a child. I loved to watch the hubbard squash plant take over its place in the garden and start heading for the yard. I think the outside of these sometimes alien looking fruits are as beautiful as the peachy colored flesh on the inside.

As for a recipe, my standard favorite is a roasted acorn squash with very little to mess with it's wonderfully nutty flavor. Try it with a little walnut oil, brown sugar and cinnamon. YUM. But here's my favorite vegetarian dish to share with friends:

Chana Korma
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 jar Indian Korma sauce (mild curry)
1/2 cup water
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups baby spinach

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Spread squash cubes on baking sheet. Spray with more cooking spray. Bake in centre of oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway, or until tender when pierced with knife.
3. In a large saucepan, combine korma sauce, water, chick peas, green onions and squash. Cook over medium heat, stirring for 5 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach until wilted.
4. Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.

5 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

That sounds so good!!! Can't wait to try it :)

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I am very slowly getting used to squash. This sounds yummy.

Sherrie said...

YUM! It's only been in recent years that I've had squash more often than at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I love it! Thanks for the great recipe. :)

Amber said...

We are huge squash heads in my house and will definitely be trying your recipe! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

We have a jar of Korma sauce in the house! We have to try this recipe. :) Squash are also wonderful because they keep so well once harvested. We're going to grow acorn squash this year.