Thursday, January 15, 2009

Setting a goal for myself

I think I'm on a path to find my creative self. I think I may even be on the right path.

I've always wanted to be a Mama. As far back as I can remember. I was Mama to my toys and dreamed of the days when I would no longer be babysitting but raising my own. And for the last eight months, I've been doing just that.

Oh but there are days- you other Mamas know the ones- the days when you want to run screaming from the building and take a "Thelma and Louise" moment! And with 21 month old twins, those times can be plentiful some weeks. (Did I mention that we're teething?)

After 8 months together, we have a great little daily routine for the four of us. With just minor tweaking as needed. But for the most part it is just that, routine. I need to step out of the routine and stretch out a little. Go back to remembering who I was before twins. Before adoption paperwork madness.

What did I do with my time? What was I interested in? While dusting the living room, stepping over numerous toys, two kids and a dog, it came to me. I was the ultimate in project starting. Not finishing them, but I was really great at starting them. I can't tell you how many mid way sewing projects are in boxes in storage. There are at least two started projects in the knitting basket. There are 3 scrapbooks with things loosely thrown in them. (which fell out again while I was dusting)

So I have come to the conclusion that I'm having some self-confidence issues when it comes to my creative self. I look at these items of perfection (in my eyes) that others have created and I expect to be able to put out the same end product. I am not being very kind to myself, especially not remembering that I am a novice at best at all of these outlets.

So for the next while, I think I will forge on with the camera. I think that is a very good project for making short term, attainable goals. It's also new and shiny and has captured my interest lately. As for sewing and knitting, I will have to find some ultra small projects to work on so I can give myself a good pat on the back when I complete them. No more 14 step clothing patterns for the next while. I don't have the time and certainly don't have the follow through.

The kids are sleeping. The camera and I have a walk to go for. See you later.

1 comment:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Darling I could have written this post!! You and I are so similar it is scary!
"take a "Thelma and Louise" moment!" oh yes I hear this!

Now as for photography. If you are like me (and it seems that you are) you want immediate gratification. Photography is the best for this. You capture a moment and it's there instantly (don't think I would have faired so well with film :) And if you get into post processing then you can play around creatively with your images.

My best advise for you is to shoot every day. Shoot everything. Look at an ordinary object and try and see it is a new way. Look at others photos and try to re-produce something similar.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

xo Sebrina